Friday, February 8, 2013

Yippe Ki-Yay

So this is my first post on my new blog! I'm afraid the movies I have to review aren't the best I've seen, just the most recent.

I intend to use this blog as a means of posting detailed, up to date reviews of the films I see each week. I try to see at least two movies a week and if I get the hankering, you might be privy to some throw back movie reviews of flicks I believe everyone should see.

I'll also leave little notes here and there about upcoming films I'm looking forward to checking out. This blog post is dedicated to the upcoming Die Hard film: It's a Good Day to Die Hard. AMC theaters (I frequent the one in Danbury, CT) is having a full fledged Die Hard marathon on opening night, all five films back to back and for only $35 bucks!



You may think sitting in one room all day, watching five films back to back sounds a little crazy. Just think about it though; we're talking about Bruce Willis doing what he does best. And you can't argue with a $35 price tag for this lot! Considering everyone knows every film they're seeing is a complete hit, I'd say you're getting more then your moneys worth!

But let's press on to the films currently out now. I saw two this past weekend and, if the great outdoors decides to calm the heck down by Sunday, I hope to see at least two to three more.

Last week I saw the latest Stallone film Bullet to the Head, Stand Up Guys with Christopher Walken and Al Pacino and the giant mash-up of shorts, Movie 43.

Let's go with Sly's action movie first:



It certainly wasn't Expendables or Rocky, but if you're a fan of Mr. Stallone's work, you'll be just fine with this one. He delivers a typical guys' movie with this one. The acting isn't much a priority  but the action and story line are good enough to keep you entertained.

This one is the typical, tough-guy out for revenge movie. Stallone plays a hit man whose partner is killed after a job and when Stallone's character uncovers they've been double crossed, he takes matters into his own hands as only our John Rambo can. He teams up with one of those "honest cop" type characters and together they uncover information about the folks who set them up.

You'll find the standard "knock-around/old guy" jokes that Stallone likes to deliver, along with some decent fight scenes and of course, a whole lot of booze and, you guessed it, lots of bullets to the head.

It wasn't my favorite, but I thought it was decent enough. Stallone does look incredible! I don't know what he's changed between the Expendables 2 and this movie but the guy is back in fighting shape for sure!




Now Stand Up Guys was one I was absolutely looking forward to. Christopher Walken, Al Pacino and Alan Arkin, play "retired" mobsters who get together after Pacino's character is released from prison. Christopher Walken is sent to kill him but, being long time friends and "Stand Up Guys", Walken and Arkin decide to give their friend one last night to enjoy his freedom and relive some of the old days.

It isn't a laugh out loud comedy but it definitely has it's funny moments and is one mob movie you can actually say is full of heart. I'll also say, this movie ended exactly the way I'd hoped that it would and I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. It's a lot of story telling but it will certainly hold you're interest and honestly with this cast, how can you expect anything less?


Now I wish I didn't have to do this, but I must end my first review on a sour note. You hate to come across a bad film, let alone spend any money on it, but hopefully you'll use this blog as a tool and potentially avoid making the mistake of handing over your hard earned cash to only end up disappointed.

Here's Movie 43:


Don't you dare let the poster pull you in. I don't care how many Oscar Award winning actors you throw at me, this one is not worth a single dime. 

It's actually a real shame because the concept is really cool: take a series of shorts, written and directed by completely different people, get the most incredible actors together and put them all in roles they wouldn't normally touch with a ten foot pole. To be honest, I have no idea how they got the stars they got, let alone got them to do the things they did. But still, there was no saving this one.

Yes, I'll admit, there were a few shorts I found to be pretty good, but like all MADtv sketches, they ran too long and ultimately lost me in the end. This was a classic case in which the trailer of the film presented fans with literally every funny line in the movie. I wish I could go into more detail but frankly, I don't want to gross you out. 

While the shorts were all different in story, the vast majority of them were full of cheap jokes, gross visuals and crass situations that were just too over the top. I liken it to a movie that could have been written and directed by the dream team of Beavis & Butthead, Charlie Sheen and anyone whose ever posted a drunken act of tom-foolery on YouTube

I beg you, don't bother with this one. You might enjoy it if you're stoned but even then, there's surely something better on.

No comments:

Post a Comment