Thursday, April 11, 2013

Waitlisted

This weekend I saw two new movies and one re-released classic. I finally got around to checking out Tina Fey's new flick, Admission and the G.I. Joe sequel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation. I also took my mother to see Jurassic Park in 3D at IMAX. Do we say "in 3D IMAX" or " in 3D in/at IMAX"? All of these acronyms can get confusing..... 

Grammar lessons aside, let's get to the movies. 

Upon first glace of the trailers, Admission looked like another quirky, classic Tina Fey film. While it did follow the standard "Fey Formula": woman devotes her life to her work, neglects her love life, ends up in line for a promotion, loses boyfriend and doesn't understand why, meets new guy who challenges everything she's worked for, then fights to keep new guy while trying to get that promotion and then ultimately realizes work isn't everything. You know, the norm. Don't get me wrong, it was still enjoyable. The "Formula" usually always delivers regardless, but thankfully this one did have a few extra touches here and there that I appreciated. 

In this film, Tina's character is an Admissions counselor at Princeton University during the start of their "application submission season". It's her job to travel around to various High Schools and promote the University while also looking through the applications of potential new freshman. Before she sets off on her High School "tour", it is revealed that her supervisor will be stepping down and that she may be next in line for his job. While all of this is going on, she finds out her boyfriend of ten years is leaving her for a woman he had an affair with and whom he got pregnant. Please see "Fey Formula" above. During one of her High School trips, she meets a charming and worldly High School Principal (Rudd) and awkward romantic hilarity ensues. Fey is introduced to a very special student at Rudd's school and is later told he may be the son she gave up for adoption during her college years. Talk about a mixed bag of stress!

Spoiler, this one doesn't get wrapped up with a nice little bow in the end like most Rom-Coms of late. But the supporting cast really helped pull everything together. Can you really go wrong with Paul Rudd and Lily Tomlin though? Not likely...

This one was good so if you like Tina and the classic "Fey Formula", you'll be pleased. 


Now for something completely different:



Where to begin? Where to begin? Let's get to the big news first. 
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!
If you're one of those girlfriends who is agreeing to tag along with their man to a film they could care less about PURELY because Channing Tatum is in it, let me tell you right now, you'll be wasting your time! I'm not going to tell you exactly what happens, but there's a reason the boy ain't included on the movie poster-just sayin'.

This one was alright. I love The Rock so let me get that out right away. That being said, I still think his acting needs work. He was great in Snitch but for some reason, he just wasn't doin' it for me here. The action was awesome and the star power throughout this film was great. At first I was annoyed at how much time they took explaining each characters back story but upon further reflection, appreciated that the writers and director included that information so folks who weren't very knowledgeable about the franchise (like me) could get a full understanding for the motivation behind every decision and action made.  

I loved seeing Bruce Willis in this one, but seriously, the "old man" jokes are getting, well, old. We get it Bruce, you're over 50 and still kicking ass, that's why we continue to watch your films, move on. The Rza also played an interesting role (badly) in this one and was a part of one of the characters' back story so I was confused about where he fit into everything at first. 

All in all, I enjoyed it and actually felt like the story moved along quite nicely. It wasn't mind blowingly smart or anything like that, but I did appreciate it as an action film pure and simple.  The guys will like it, the girls won't hate seeing it. G.I. Joe: Retaliation, check it out. 


Now I'm going to make this one quick. Jurassic Park is a classic, we all know it. Seeing it in 3D only enhanced the awesome. That Steven Spielberg is one smart son of a b! I highly recommend seeing this in 3D (at?) IMAX, I normally don't promote 3D anything because usually it's pointless, but Jurassic Park is one hell of an exception to the rule. 




No comments:

Post a Comment