Wednesday, July 10, 2013

For Your Consideration

I've got two for the boys and one for the kid in us all. The Hangover III, Fast and Furious 6 (or Fast 6 if you're cool) and Epic. All were enjoyable but none were really amazing. Do I think you should see them? Read on and find out ;)
 
The Hangover: Part III:

 

The boys are back and just as crazy as ever! I was excited about this one purely because Zach Galifinakis can do no wrong and I'll see anything he's in. My man John Goodman is also in this flick so you know there was no way in hell I'd miss it but thankfully, this final installment in the beloved frat-boy franchise was a lot of fun. 

It still wasn't as great as the first movie but it was by far and away better than the second so, still a win. Of the three, this one had the most action and the least amount of outrageousness but again, very much one you should see. While it featured the usual suspects, this film was about about Ken Jeong's character, Leslie Chow. We find him in a Vietnamese (I think) prison. He escapes and John Goodman's character comes after the boys and orders them to help him track Chow down. Poor Doug is kidnapped again but at least this time we know where he is and what has to be done to get him back. Find Leslie Chow! 
 
The movie then gets all kinds of crazy as per usual and the boys end up back in Vegas where it all began. 

Again, nothing will ever be as good as the first film, but I enjoyed this one too. Check it out if you've got the time. 

The Fast & Furious 6:


I'll be honest with you, I've only seen two of the previous films in this franchise. Maybe that doesn't make me an authority but let's be honest, much like the Die Hard franchise, these Fast films are pretty much all based off of the same formula. We drive cars and steal stuff, the authorities try to shut us down, someone usually dies, we get revenge and give audiences crazy chase scenes that are unrealistic in every possible way. You're welcome Hollywood. 

It was entertaining, don't get me wrong here; but it wasn't anything we haven't seen before. Maybe we get some new cars, a few new characters (they have to replace the ones that died in the last movie), but nothing more. The stories are different, you know, we need new reasons to seek revenge, but again, really not so different that each movie demands to be seen. 

Don't be upset if you miss any, there's going to be 12 in all (as of right now anyway) and Fast 7 is already underway. And I'll see them all eventually-especially 7, my boyfriend Jason Statham is going be playing the baddy in the next one so get excited for that! So if you enjoyed any of the other Fast films (I'll understand if you didn't-Paul Walker and Tyrese? Yuck!) you'll really like this installment.  


Epic:

This one was interesting because I wasn't super stoked to see it but I didn't have any reason to not want to check it out. It's full of stars and the storyline reminds me of Fern Gully, which I loved as a kid. So what's the problem?

Well, here's the thing; Epic, wasn't overly, well, epic. It was a good enough kid friendly film, but it really wasn't anything special. I actually saw it twice and still left feeling "meh" about it. 
 
It had it's funny moments, it had it's serious moments, there was a good amount of action and the story moved along at a fairly decent pace. It just wasn't all that and a bag of chips like other kid's films. It didn't even deliver a "we need to be nice to the planet" message like Fern Gully had. It was basically a bunch of little forest soldiers flying around and protecting the plants from an evil army bent on killing everything. 
 
That was part of the problem too: the bad guys had no real goal. Let's kill everything. Okay.... then what? It just didn't really make sense. And again, while it was full of stars, the only entertaining characters were a slug played by Aziz Ansari and a snail played by Chris O'Dowd. Beyonce, Steven Tyler, Colin Farrell, PitbullJason Sudeikis, Amanda Seyfried, Josh Hutcherson  and Christoph Waltz. There were all there. But not one of their characters stood out and gave you a reason to want to see it again. 

Now, if they made a sequel based on the snail and the slug, that would be something I'd gladly see over and over again. They were a hoot and were the main reasons I wanted to see the film in the first place.

So, did I like it? Yup. Was it epic? Sadly no. Should you see it? Meh, your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment