Thursday, January 9, 2014

Paranoia

Here's the thing about Paranoia, there is no paranoia in the entire film! It's like that Alanis, song Ironic. The irony, dear Alanis, is there is not one example of irony in the whole damned song!

There was no psychosomatic episodes, no one was placed in an institution or put under surveillance. Frankly, I wouldn't even classify this one as a psychological thriller, or a thriller of any kind. 

I won't say I hated the film because I truly didn't. Unfortunately I can't say I feel anything for it at all. It's filled with amazing actors and I can't for the life of me understand why they agreed to do this movie in the first place. It's just, nothing. 

It's pretty much the battle between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Completely insignificant to the rest of us,  insanely dramatic and important to the two of them...oh and there's guns and the threat of killing the people you love, there's also that. 

But aside from that this film is completely predictable. 

It was Magneto against Professor X only, you really don't like either guy and there's no insanely cool super powers to distract the audience.

One billionaire has a grudge against another billionaire and they decide to use some naive young buck to screw the other one over. I bet you can't guess what happens in the end!

Did you guess that the precocious youngster turns the tables on them both? Aww drat you're too smart for me! 

The one nice thing about this movie was the fact that it practically flew by; it's the type of film that feels like it was all of ten minutes long. Now again, I didn't hate it, I simply have no feelings about it at all. I like the actors, I liked the acting, it was the plot and structure of the film itself that left oh so much to be desired. 

I mean Christ, you're talking about a film that pits Han Solo against Zorg! Give me something-please!

Oh and Richard Dreyfuss was in it too! Mr. Holland's Opus people! And still, nothing. Not a damned thing. Such a shame. I can't help but feel like all of the actors involved used this movie as a warm up. You know, how bands have rehearsals and sound checks; Harrison and Gary must have read the script and thought, "Yeah, I guess I could do with a nice stretch between blockbusters." Hey now, a paycheck is a paycheck am I right?

In summary, didn't hate it. Totally predictable. Awesome cast. Pretty computer/gadget flashiness. Not one you'll ever need to see again or ad to your personal collection.

I look at films like this as another notch on the 'ol movie belt, I can say I saw it and move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment