Thursday, January 16, 2014

We're the Millers


I'm going to be 30 this year and I think that has a direct correlation with how I've been reviewing films lately. Everyone that has seen We're the Millers has absolutely loved it. Someone even referred to it as THE comedy of 2013. And I just, I just don't agree.

Sure, I liked it, but did I feel it was THE comedy of the year?! No. Sorry, nope. I find myself unable to tell you why I feel that way though. It made me laugh, had a great cast who worked well together; but it just didn't get me there.

Jason Sudeikis plays a 30-something degenerate who makes his living selling pot and doing odd jobs for people. He has no family, no real friends, and isn't liked by the majority of his neighbors. His pot supply is given to him by an old friend with a lot of money and one night, everything he has is stolen. Now his rich friend tells him he either has to pay for the pot that was stolen (knowing full well that Sudeikis doesn't have that kind of cash) or, must get himself to Mexico and smuggle more pot into the US. 

Jason decides that the only way he'll be able to get through the US border patrol, is to pretend he was vacationing in an RV with his family. He recruits some of his neighbors that are just as desperate for cash as he is to play his fake family and together they set off for Mexico. As you can imagine, hilarity ensues. The gang find themselves on a crazy road trip in which everything can and does go wrong. 

Again, I thought this one was funny for sure. But it wasn't one I needed to see again right away, nor was it one I felt I needed to tell everyone I knew to go see. I think it might have been just a touch on the goofy side and that's what turned me off slightly. It's very much like a Vince Vaughn/Owen Wilson film. It'll make you feel good, but it won't be your favorite comedy at the end of the day. At least, I don't think so.  



No comments:

Post a Comment