Monday, May 2, 2016

Hardcore Henry / The Boss


Hardcore Henry:


The entire film is shot from the main character's perspective so, as a member of the audience, you're suppose to feel like you are actually in the film. Which is genius, never been done before, groundbreaking, awesome. Unless you're someone like me who has crazy motion sickness and has to close their eyes for movies like Cloverfield and Earth to Echo.


I knew the moment I saw the trailer for this that I wouldn't be able to sit through it completely. But dammit I had to try! Sadly, I failed, horribly.


I watched the first 30 minutes and then I have to leave the theater completely and regroup. I came back for the last 30 minutes so I was at least able to catch the premise of the film and the ending.


It really was amazing and the way it was complied and edited is something to be admired for sure. The film was intense from start to finish and you're left feeling like you ran a damned marathon.


The story itself was pretty smart too. Guy wakes up with no memory and missing a few limbs. He's told by the nurse, who reveals she's his wife, that he was in an accident but that doctors were able to give him artificial intelligence and bionic limbs but that the danger that brought him there in the first place is far from over. They're about to give him the ability to speak but the lab gets attacked by this bad guy with crazy super powers and Henry manages to grab his missus and escape.


For the next hour Henry is running through the city trying to reach the guy with the super powers and along the way gets help from a friend he can't remember. His wife got kidnapped too so he's motivated by his concern for her safety and will stop at nothing to reach the enemy.


I'm telling you, if you like action films and can watch a film like this without puking on your friends, give this one a look. It's very graphic but the filming style is one of a kind.


I only had one issue and my friends left feeling the same way........ the bad guy's super powers are NEVER explained! You don't know why he can do what he does or why no one else shares his abilities. This film was completely funded by fans after a 10 minute YouTube video shot in this style was released but even that "origin" flick doesn't explain it! That's the only real beef I've got-I need to know more about the bad guy! Are there more like him? Were his abilities given to him in a lab too? Is he a mutant? I need to know!


But see it for yourself, and bring some Dramamine.





The Boss:

I was kind of disappointed by this one. Classic case where all of the funny bits were shown in the trailer. Kind of a bummer.

It was cute, but I was expecting bigger laughs and less cheese. Melissa's character was obnoxious, yes but at times, a little too ridiculous. Her nemesis throughout the film, played by Peter Dinklage was really odd too. It was as if Adam Sandler and Judd Apatow collaborated on a film. Some parts were sweet and fun and other parts were really exaggerated and stupid. You'll laugh, but you won't laugh as much as you thought you would after seeing the trailer.



No comments:

Post a Comment