Thursday, January 21, 2016

August: Osage County


I had a really hard time with this one. Just sitting through it was torture to be honest. I know it's full of incredible actors and don't get me wrong, they completely delivered. It's the story and the characters themselves.
I mean, the entire film is just pure misery. The story is about what happens when a hugely dysfunctional family who barely speak to one another are forced to come together over tragic circumstances. The entire film consists of these characters being nasty and cruel to one another; re-opening old wounds and uncovering even more, tragic and terrible truths about each other. And what's worse is, you really don't feel bad for any of them.
For two full hours, you're left feeling uncomfortable and cringey watching these people go at it at every given opportunity and to add insult to injury, the story doesn't even end on a happy note. You leave the theater feeling drained and wildly depressed. Again, the performances were wonderful but that actually makes things worse because it's all so real and you can't believe that people would actually treat each other like this.
I wish I could recommend it but I really don't feel right in doing so. If you do see it, make sure you call your therapist immediately after, that's all I can say.


The trailer makes the film seem like a comedy, I promise you, it isn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment