Friday, January 29, 2016

The 5th Wave/Room

The 5th Wave:


Okay, so I saw this trailer a billion times before the films release and I honestly thought it looked like total garbage. Thankfully this wasn't the case. I was actually pretty impressed at how the writing team was able to cram a crapload of story into a two hour film without (in my humble opinion) completely butchering or dumbing down the story. The characters were kind of cheesy but since I haven't read the book, am unsure as to whether it was how the actors portrayed each role or if the characters were genuinely created to act like that. As far as tween films are concerned, this is another decent one you won't mind sitting through.


I judge all tween movies on a scale from the first Twilight to Harry Potter. That's a crazy huge scale, I know, but it works. So this film is in the Vampire Academy arena for me. They have left it open for a sequel much like VA but whether we actually see one is another story. Again, not a stinker, but could probably have been better.






Room:


This was a film I was dying to see! Again, based on the best selling novel by the same name, this one was one that the box offices didn't give a shit about until it got the Oscar nod. My local theater had it running for two days, literally. And they were week days at that! Then it was gone. Thankfully my theater is one that likes to make money, and will always re-show films that have been nominated for Oscars around awards season. I was able to catch it and boy oh boy was it good! My money is on Room sweeping each of it's categories with strong competition only from The Revenant and The Martian. I'm disgusted that Jacob Tremblay didn't get nominated for his role though, he was absolutely incredible and only 9 years old! In addition to the trailer I'm going to include video from his acceptance speech at the Critics Choice awards. He is as delightful as he is talented and I expect great things from him in the future. Go see Room!!




No comments:

Post a Comment