Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Conjuring, The Way Way Back & Turbo


As you guys already know, I don't do scary movies. I don't know why I agreed to see this one but I did and here we are.
I thought this one was pretty good. It did scare me. It did have some good "make you jump" moments and thankfully, it wasn't gore-y. There's a time and a place for gore and this was not a film that needed it.
I know they're planning a sequel and I can't imagine what that will entail. I will probably see it though, just to see what they do with the story. But that'll be at noon with about 10 of my closest friends and I'll make sure my roommates are home that night and I leave the light on in the hallway......Is that over the top? Don't care, I don't like scary movies!





I might be a little obsessed with this film you guys. Every time it's on I watch. Everyone was incredible. Steve Carell actually plays a bad guy and you want to reach into the screen and punch his dumb lights out. His performance is that good.  The film is about a two families coming together for a summer trip to the beach. Steve and Toni Colette are dating and decide to take their kids away on a summer vacation in an attempt to further their relationship and try to merge their two households. The kids have different personalities and social circles and spend each day trying to avoid one another as much as possible meanwhile Steve acts like a real dick and leaves Toni feeling confused and worried about their future together.
Sam Rockwell steals the entire movie though, let's just be honest here. His comedic timing and delivery are incredible and his character is exactly what's needed to keep the film light.
Sam plays the manager of a local water park who befriends and ultimately hires Toni's son for the summer. The son sees the water park and it's employees as an escape from the drama going on back at the beach house and spends as much time with all of them as he can until the season's over.
It's not a comedy but more of a coming of age story of sorts. While it is dramatic, it's not depressing, it's just about a group of folks who need to figure things out and get their shit together once and for all. And who can't relate to that?



As funny as this movie was, I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't tell you how stupid it was as well. This is the true definition of a kids movie. There's no way anything like this would ever happen in real life but you still watch because it's well made, full of amazing actors and provides a great distraction from your daily life. If you want to lose yourself in a film for a few hours and not have to think about a thing, this is one you'll want to see. Your kids will love it because it's cute and silly and full of action and bright colors and you'll suffer through multiples showings of it because it has enough hidden adult content thrown in to keep you entertained.
Basically, this is one of those films that you know big actors do so their kids will be able to watch something Mommy and Daddy made, you know what I mean?



No comments:

Post a Comment