Thursday, January 21, 2016

Elysium, The Wolverine & Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Elysium:


Let's sling shot ourselves into the future shall we?! In Elysium, the rich have gotten sick and tired of the sick and tired's whining and ran away to their own "perfect world" in space. Thanks for nothing, Jodie Foster.....

The title of the film is also the name of this rich and vibrant world for the wealthy. Earth is a desolate wasteland where everyone works for peanuts and is treated like garbage because there simply isn't enough room or resources for us to take proper care of ourselves anymore. 

Matt Damon plays a factory worker with a record. He made some bad decisions out of desperation while growing up and is now working at a crappy job making crappy pay, just trying to get by like everyone else stuck on Earth.

Jodie Foster plays the head of ''world" security on Elysium and spends her days speaking French and drinking fancy drinks while wearing fancy clothes and jewelry. She positively loathes the people back home and is devoted to keeping all of the filthy, poor people of Earth away from her tranquil and luxurious Elysium. 

Matt Damon gets into an accident at work and is exposed to a lethal amount of radiation and told he will die in three days. Elysium has extremely badass MRI-looking machines that can clear anyone's body of literally every and all diseases-these suckers cure cancer! Where was that in your med-bay Star Trek?! 

So Matt decides he's just got to get himself up to Elysium and talks to an old contact from his trouble-making days about how he just might be able to sneak up to that world. 

This movie was full of action and super awesome futuristic visuals. I won't give everything away because once I give you the entire plot summery, I feel that it will be pretty easy for you to figure out how it ends and that's just not right. See how smart I assume all of you are? ;) 
You'll just have to see it for yourself. This one feels a little lengthy but I think you'll enjoy it regardless. Be warned though, it does get graphic so you may want to watch it before letting the kids check it out. 




The Wolverine:



I felt weird watching this one because I'm a huge fan of the franchise yet knew nothing about this story line. I don't want to say I was confused but I definitely watched the first half wondering where on Earth this story fit into the X-Men/Marvel universe. But that's just my own ignorance, nothing to do with the film itself. Which was pretty good!
I know the first Wolverine movie got a lot of crap from critics but I enjoyed that one too. The problem I did have with this film was that the bad guys seemed over the top, in a bad way. They were really exaggerated and not in a way that seemed to make any sense. The acting was a little over dramatic and some of the special effects were down right goofy which is a shame because the story  was good.
Sadly, Hugh is done with this franchise and we won't get to see any more of his Wolverine role. I'm sure they'll make more films with another actor and hopefully the delivery of those will be a little more thought out because this character is so important to the X-Men universe, it would be a shame to waste anymore opportunities to show off what Wolverine is all about.


Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters:



I must confess, I haven't read this book series. I did see the first film, but I can't give you and honest comparison of the book vs. film. With that said, I felt Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, was very enjoyable. It's lighthearted while taking on some slightly more mature subject matter. It's got love, action, comedy and features some pretty fantastic actors and how can you really go wrong with that? I don't know if they'll make any more of these since all of the actors are getting older-fast, but this one is one worth seeing, especially if you enjoyed the first film.



No comments:

Post a Comment